ALMA ON TOUR   HISTORY   PLAY   PRESS   PHOTOS   VIDEO   INFORMATION   TICKETS Alma
  Abstandhalter  
 
 
Scenes
   Alma in Wiener Neustadt (2014)
   Alma in Prague (2011)
   Alma in Vienna (2010)
   Alma in Jerusalem (2009)
   Alma in Vienna (2009)
   Alma in Vienna (2008)
   Alma on Semmering (2007)
   Alma in Berlin (2006)
   Alma in Petronell (2005)
   Alma in Los Angeles (2004)
   Alma in Lisbon (2003)
   Alma in Venice (2002)
   Alma in Vienna (1996-2001)
 

Location - Panorama
   Locations 1996-2013
   k.k. Post und Telegrafenamt 2012
   Prague 2011
   Jerusalem 2009
   k.k. Post und Telegrafenamt 2009
   k.k. Post und Telegrafenamt 2008
   Semmering 2007
   Berlin 2006
   Petronell 2005
   Los Angeles 2004
   Lisbon 2003
   Venice 2002
   Vienna 1996-2001

 
Venues
   Martinický Palác (Prague)
   The Russian Compound (Jerusalem)
   k.k. Post- und Telegrafenamt (Vienna)
   Kurhaus Semmering (Semmering)
   Crown Prince's Palace (Berlin)
   Castle Petronell (Petronell)
   Los Angeles Theatre (Los Angeles)
   Convento dos Inglesinhos (Lisbon)
   Palazzo Zenobio (Venice)
   Sanatorium Purkersdorf (Vienna)
 
 
 

The Purkersdorf Sanatorium
Wienerstraße 64
3002 Purkersdorf bei Wien

The Purkersdorf Sanatorium was built 1904/05 by architect Josef Hoffmann, a disciple of Otto Wagner, the founder of modern architecture in Austria. It is an example of architecture from the Vienna Secession and paved the way for modern architecture.

Sanatorium Purkersdorf Sanatorium Purkersdorf
 
Sanatorium Purkersdorf, Vienna
The renowned dining room

Being the most important work of the cubistic-geometric phase of the Viennese Jugendstil this building was revolutionary in its clear disposition and formal development and last but not least the simplicity of its construction. Hoffmann made use of the most modern available techniques - reinforced concrete - when building the Sanatorium.

Sanatorium PurkersdorfDer WandelgangVeranda Josef Hofmann
 
Preliminary drawing of the Sanatorium by Josef Hoffmann
Josef Hoffmann

It was the first large commission for Josef Hoffmann and the Wiener Werkstaette artisan's group, and came about through the acquaintance of the architect with the art critic Berta Zuckerkandl. She, as a supporter of the Secession and admirer of Josef Hoffmann recommended him to the builder, her brother in law Victor Zuckerkandl, who purchased this area as a spa together with spa gardens which it was before in the 19th century when the so called "Laura-well" was found.

Sanatorium Purkersdorf Sanatorium Purkersdorf
 
Corridor
Veranda

Decoration outside the building is extremely discreet. Inside there are fascinating contrasts between the severity of the architecture and the more decorated interior. The intended purpose of the Sanatorium pulled for a level of hygienic sobriety which helped Hoffmann in his design. The black and white colour scheme and quadratic motifs were a continuum throughout the foyer of Hoffmann’s Purkersdorf sanatorium, including chairs and tables. Reprodactions are made by Wittmann furniture in Austria.

Sanatorium Purkersdorf
Foyer

Not only architectural importance and matters of art history has to be mentioned at this building, it was also a meeting point for the high society. The Sanatorium was designed for a wealthy circle of patients, dedicated to the highest levels of comfort and luxury. Up to the worldwide economic crisis in 1929 Purkersdorf was visited by upperclass clientele and intelligentsia: Gustav Mahler, Hugo von Hoffmannsthal, Arnold Schönberg and Arthur Schnitzler were there, but also Indian Maharadschas and millionaires of dollars.

Sanatorium Purkersdorf Sanatorium Purkersdorf Sanatorium Purkersdorf
     
Music room
Waiting room with telephone booth
 
Doctor's room

Against the will of Josef Hoffmann the building was raised by Leopold Bauer
in 1926.

Sanatorium Purkersdorf Sanatorium Purkersdorf
 
Ordination
The Sanatorium with the assembly by Leopold Bauer

After the death of Victor Zuckerkandl in 1927, several relatives took over the Sanatorium Purkersdorf until to the occupation of the Nationalsocialists when Jewish property was "aryanysed". After World War II the building was used by the Russian forces as a military hospital. 1952 the Austrian protestant church purchased the building and run a hospital, later a home for elderly people. 1975 they stopped activity, the building and the park was unused for many years. The Sanatorium Purkersdorf has now been restored carefully, the 3rd floor is removed and the opening as an old people's home took place in May 2003.

         
Some objects from the equipment of the Sanatorium. Amongst them a chair
by Josef Hoffmann and figures by Richard Luksch.

Woka Lamps in Vienna produced reproductions of the original lamps designed by Josef Hoffmann and executed by the Wiener Werkstaette for the most delicate areas.(Karolinsky Archive)